Simplicity (Cynthia Rowley) 2443
This jacket was the result of some good ol' fashion jacket/coat envy. Yes, the green-eyed monster of winter dressing reared it's ugly head. It is around this time every year that my fellow Southern Hemisphere-arians start to share all the wonderful winter clothes they've been sewing - coats, jackets, capes, leggings, winter skirts and scarves. It is around this time every year that my '365 days of summer' wardrobe starts to feel a bit monotonous and I crave a bit of variety.
When I saw Audrey from SewTawdry make this jacket a few weeks ago, I had a lightbulb moment. Hey, I could sew a warm weather winter jacket! Even though I'd see a few versions of this jacket that I really liked, such as Robyn's from Sew Love Red, it hadn't occurred to me that this could be the winter wear I was searching for. This jacket would make me feel like I was dressing for another season too. Believe it or not, but this jacket would be waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too warm to wear here during summer.
I made up the jacket with some lovely quality linen I had in my stash. I purchased it from The Fabric Store while in Sydney last year and have really been unsure how to best use it. I think it was perfect for this project. The ribbon was from my local craftstore. I was extremely lucky to score such a close colour match. I originally went in there to buy buttons, thinking there was no way I was going to find a match. So very very lucky! The ribbon I found was much too wide though, so I have folded it in half and sewn it together lengthways.
I did make a few modications to this pattern on my toile. I found that the original design was quite boxy so added darts to give it more shape. I added two darts at each side of the CB from the bottom. I also shaped the seam through the CB. I also added a dart to each side of the CB from the neckline. Obviously, I had to alter the shape of the hemband to allow for these changes.
The other major change I made was to fully line the jacket. I have lined it with a Japanese cotton lawn at the front and back and silk habotai at the sleeves. Initially I was going to make an unlined jacket, so had already cut out the facings. I simply added the rest of the lining to the facings. This should have been a simple task, except for the fact that I only remembered to add one SA and not two. Major setback! It took hours to rectify this problem. Due to fabric restrictions, I had to add a strip of fabric between the seam of the original facing (trimmed and clipped!) and the lining. It all looks fine now, but I was not a happy lady that night!
And now to a few detail shots....
1. The sleeve and placket. Not the neatest job in the world I'll admit. I actually found this step of the process quite tricky. The D-rings were pinched from a pair of my son's trousers.
2. The side view
4. Close up of the jacket worn open.
I wore this outfit out this morning to breakfast, followed by a movie. It's paired with my silk racerback tank and Jag jeans.
After a day's wear, I can confidently say that I'm really happy with this jacket. I can definitely see myself making more. I can imagine so many variations. I must say it was fun to sew all the bling - pockets galore, tabs, ribbons, button loops and sleeve tie ends. I don't think I'll add ALL the bling on my next one, but it's fun to have at least one version of the original design.