Fabric: Milly cotton voile from Emma One Sock
What better way to celebrate the coming of Spring than with a new floral dress. Although the colours in this dress aren't the best on my skin, I couldn't resist the yellow and blue - so bright and happy. I also struggle to resist Milly prints.
I feel like this dress is a step closer to finding the perfect summer dress for me. This may sound like an easy task, but it's not for me. I like something sleeveless, but with a bit of shoulder coverage. Something very light, but not sheer. Something with a bit of shape, yet not fitted. Something easy to move around it, yet not sack-like. Something with plenty of exposed skin (for ventilation), yet sunsafe and modest. Oh and something made from cotton...but that's a given.
The inspiration for this dress came predominately from these three sources:
1. This Marc Jacobs cotton voile dress
I borrowed the flutter sleeves and the pleating around the skirt.
2. My Cynthia Rowley Dress
I actually used the toile I made to use this dress as the starting point for my new dress. I wanted something with raglan sleeves. I also wanted a dress I could pull in at the hips. I used the neckline of this dress and modified the sleeves.
3. A RTW Jag dress I wore a few years ago on Xmas day.
I borrowed the drawstring idea from this dress. One thing I made sure to do was to reposition the casing on my new dress. I always felt the placement of the drawstring on this JAG dress was unflattering on my body shape. I shifted it much lower, to go over my hips. I also added a second row of casing to provide more support.
- side view -
- back view-
three rows of pleats
front view - double casing with drawstrings
back view - double casing with elastic
I sewed the elastic down across a section of the back to give the dress some shape.
Due to the sheerness of the fabric I lined the skirt of the dress with rayon lining. I sewed this in place, before sewing on the casing. The casing covers the seam.